Get a helping hand from your disability insurance policy in Canada
When you can get back to work after a disability, it’s good for your physical, emotional and financial well-being. That’s why most insurance companies offer return to work benefits on their disability income protection insurance. With these benefits, you can receive financial help, as well as rehabilitation, job retraining and other services to assist you in your transition back to the workplace.
Providing the support you need to return to work
Return to work assistance can start as early as the first day of your disability. You may be provided with help in returning you to work or enhancing your ability to work. Assistance can include such services as:
- Co-ordination and payment for physical and/or psychological rehabilitation services
- Financial and business planning
- Transferable skills analysis, which includes identifying other occupations you could perform
- Job training and education
- Job search assistance and placement
In addition, your insurance company may provide job or work-site modifications to accommodate your needs. This could include such things as:
- Ergonomic furniture and/or equipment
- Working with you and your employer to change your job duties
- Assistive devices such as mobility-enhancing equipment or visual/audio devices
Optional or Mandatory
This additional benefit is highly used by people on long-term disability. It is better to be an active working member of society, in some form, than to remain at home for the rest of your life. For some disability insurance policies this is a mandatory benefit that starts from day one of your disability. For others it is an optional benefit that you can choose to take part in or not, depending on how you are feeling about re-entering the workforce in a different type of career.
To find out more about how Return to Work Assistance in your disability insurance policy can help you, please contact us at Life Guard Insurance in Canada.